The challenge is making a pongal (sweet or savory/hot or cold/veg or non veg) with an international flair i.e. the taste that stands out is of a traditional pongal but it will be reconstructed using international/non-traditional ingredients and presented as an international dish!
Our Proud Sponsor Food World Indian Grocery, Germantown, MD 20871.
All kinds of millets (regular & organic) and other ingredients for the competition are available at :
Food World Indian Grocery,
13220 Wisteria Dr,
Germantown, MD 20874
Phone number(301) 540-5130
- You will be judged on ONE main pongal dish (with or without accompaniments)
- You must name the dish, provide the recipe and detail a brief inspiration behind the dish i.e. what made you choose the ingredients you chose (for example, Oats/Varagu/Thinai instead of traditional rice)
- The final dish can be sweet or savory/hot or cold/veg or non veg.
- You must bring enough quantity to serve at least 15 portions.
- Last Date for entries : Jan 04,2018
- Open to all adults (men and women) over the age of 18.
- Contestants must be a TSGW member in active status
- Non-TSGW member pay $10.00 per person
- Can be register as a team of 2 or 3 (not more) or an individual;In the team, one must be 18 years old.
- Must assign a team name and printed on a paper to display preferably colorful.
- Be prepared to share your inspiration behind the dish and one or two benefit of Millet or your main ingredient over rice.
- You will be judged based on the following criteria ‐
- Creativity: Creativity: Best creative reconstruction of Traditional Pongal with an international flair. If you are trying an authentic delicacy, then dish will judged on its authenticity.
- Taste: Taste of the dish. Remember to bring the recipe card to distribute.
- Presentation: Presentation of the dish and the Table setup so plan to decorate your table and the dish well.
- Innovation: with an international flair i.e. the taste that stands out is of a traditional pongal but it will be reconstructed using international/non-traditional ingredients and presented as an international dish!
- You will be given 15 minutes to present your dish. We will notify you of the time to bring your dish closer to the event date.
- Apart from table and table cloth, you will need to bring all items necessary to present and plate your dish.
- You must display your team name and dish name.
- You must place a printed copy of the recipe next to the dish.
- You can portion part of your dish into tasting cups for judges/audience to taste. Tasting cups will be provided at the venue.
- There will not be any heating equipment or refrigeration provided for at the venue.