The singing competitions are only for children between the ages of 5 and 17. Any Child that can sing Tamil isai can participate. The main purpose of conducting the competitions as part of Tamil Isai vizha celebration is to encourage our children to learn and practice our traditional music.
In 2017, there will be only solo singing competitions. Instrumental, Duet/group performances, Karaoke, etc. are not included this time.
The singing competitions will be of two categories:
1. Semi-Classical - General Tamil songs
2. Classical - Tamil Isai songs
Each of the two categories will have the participants divided into two groups:
1. 5 to 10 years of age.
2. 11 to 17 years of age.
1. A child can participate only in one category. So, please decide which category to register for the competition after reviewing the guidelines and samples.
2. Each participant will be given 3 to 5 minutes to complete their song.
3.Each participant is required to provide the following details regardless which category they are registering*:
a. Title of the song (Please specify at least the first three words)
b. Type of song (Folk, Thevaram, Geetham, Varnam, etc.)
d. Ragam** (specify the name of the pan and/or Ragam)
e. Talam** (Include jathi and nadai if known)
f. Sruthi (can be stated in western music scale or in Carnatic)
g. Name of the music school or the teacher
h. Link to the song on Youtube/Soundcloud (if available)
4. It is important that you provide us a close up picture of the participant preferably a passport size photo. We will include that in the slide when the participant is performing for everyone in the auditorium to see.
5. The Semi-classical (General Tamil songs) shall include but not limited to songs from Tamil literature, Tamil folk songs, Movie songs (appropriate to Semi-classical where the ragam and talam could be identified; no kuthu songs or songs with inappropriate language), Thevaram, Thiruvasagam, Thiruppugal, Thiruvarutpa, Seerappuranam, Barathiar, Barathithasan, devotional or other tamil songs. Please contact us as email@example.com if you have questions. E.g., Thevaram (Thodudaya seviyan), Barathiyar song (Kakai siraginile), Devotional song (Ayarpadi maligayil), Movie song (Thamizhukkum amuthendru per), etc.
6. The Classical songs (Pannisai/Carnatic) shall comprise of any classical compositions where the participant can give the raga identification such as arohanam and avarohanam and sing swaram and sahithiyam in the case of Geetham or Varnam. Swaram is not required in the case of Keerthanais, however an alapanai demonstrating the bhavam of the ragam would be a plus though it is not mandatory. Thillanas or any song that does not have Tamil lyrics are not allowed.
7. Special weightage will be given to the richness of “Tamil” in the songs. Repetition of a line of two for a long time does not add value unless there are different sangathis. Sticking to Sruthi, accuracy of notes and talam would be assessed.
8. We cannot provide sruthi box. So, please bring your own if you want to use one. No other instrument is allowed except for a sruthi box.
9. The participant will lost credit if people from the audience/the family support them by timing or talam.
10. The participant is not allowed to use metronome. However, they can use a reference for the lyrics while they sing.
11. Each Category and age group will get FIRST, SECOND and THIRD Prize and All the participants will get participant certificate.
* If you want to change the song, please email the details before Monday, 27th November 2017 to allow us to review the song for adherence with the guidelines. Song changes at the last minute will not be entertained. We request your cooperation in this regard to allow us to have complete details to be provided to the judges.
** If you do not know the ragam and talam of a song, please let us know via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to get you the details.
Click here to Register for the competition and you will be notified via e-mail of the acceptance of your registration. We will also need your best phone number and email id and the name of the person to contact in case we have questions before approval of the registration.
Reply to the confirmation email you receive and include a photo of the child (a close-up picture so the face is clear with a good resolution) to email@example.com. Please make sure to include the participating child's photo only. We like to use this photo in the PowerPoint presentation that will be displayed when the child sings.
The registration form does not support Tamil fonts so please complete them in English